- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 jalepeños, stems removed and finely minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- Optional toppings: shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream, diced green onions
- In a large heavy-bottom pot add beef, onion and garlic over medium heat. Cook, breaking up large pieces until no pink remains, approximately 10 minutes. Drain excess fat, if desired.
- Add chili powder, cumin, ancho pepper, jalapeño and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes, sauce, beans and paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Yields approximately 3 quarts.